What makes us happy? It’s one of life’s greatest questions.
Society tells us that a car, that house or thing will bring happiness. And yes, these things do, but it’s momentary. For some of us, travelling makes us happy. While, for others, it’s feeling fit or it’s a certain someone. There’s no one road to happiness.
Okay, so if money can’t buy us real happiness, what can? Connection.
Humans are wired to be social. The biggest predictor of happiness is the extent of our social relationships. A primary reason that our brains have evolved in the manner they have, is through our ability to socialise.
Our core happiness, that day-to-day feeling of wellbeing, is long-term. Strong connections with the people around us, our health, and accomplishment in what we’re doing in life – we all want this.
What does this mean for you, in business?
The success of your business relies on living a happy, healthy life. But what do you do when times get tough at work? If you’re having a bad day at the ‘office’ or feeling defeated, you have the power to change it.
It’s all about your mindset and how you approach the situation. Push through those negative thoughts using these great tips.
5 ways to be happy at work
- Take the ‘glass half full’ approach. If you’re feeling down, ask yourself ‘what am I grateful for.’ Change your thinking and focus on what’s good in your life, rather than what’s missing or wrong. Be consistent in your positive thoughts.
- Label negative feelings. Suppressing emotions doesn’t work. If you can confront them and understand why you’re feeling down, you can start to move past them.
- Face tough decisions head on. Don’t try to avoid them or push them ‘under the carpet’. By confronting something that was worrying you, you’re taking control of the situation. No good will come from dragging out that problem. It’s just going to keep worrying you.
- Be open minded. It’s easy to fall into a negative headspace, especially when you’re tackling new things. Accept that you will hit roadblocks in your journey, and that’s okay.
- Follow your intuition. You can never go wrong if you follow how you instinctively feel. Listen to, and trust, your gut.
We can’t finish a conversation on happiness without covering the Law of Attraction. With happiness, luck is rarely involved. When someone looks like they ‘have it all’, it’s a result of attracting what they want in life.
The Law of Attraction simply means that what you focus on in life, you attract. This means that whatever dominates your thoughts, actions and even your subconscious, is what comes into your life.
Live Happy is a magazine designed for you, our Neora Brand Partners. Check out the inspiring articles about staying positive in business.
What is happiness to you? And what are you doing to achieve it?